Thursday, April 12, 2007

Gargle and Spit

This one is for Sandra...



And if you want to know what she was trying to do at the end of the video, the answer is this:



Now you see why it's so hard for me to go back to work? Fabien reminds me that, although I think that staying at home is fulfilling now, it probably will not look attractive in 5 or maybe 6 years time when our kid(s) is/are older and less dependent on me. When I am a bored and desperate housewife. And what about in 10 or 12 years time when I have too much time on my hands and all my friends are still busy working? Bleargh. What a dreary prospect.

In more bad news, my headhunter(s) tells me that I will become virtually unemployable if I stop working as a lawyer for more than 3 years, and I don't think she says this because she (just) wants her commission. So I have to make a tough decision now to cut them apron strings and get back to the soulessness of a law firm simply because I don't know yet if I want to give up law completely, and don't want to burn that bridge.

I'll put up with the cancelled personal appointments and burnt weekends in the office, the stress and the mind-numbing meticulous boredom; because on the basis of the current information, this is the best possible long term decision. Even though whenever I look at speedily growing Sophie, I have that little echo of doubt in my mind.

I'd have been the chief wookie caregiver for 12 glorious (and rapidly passing) months and I don't regret a second of that, but I didn't work in private practice for an Italian year before that, so my 2 years are done and the Unemployability Clock is ticking...

No comments: