Monday, April 14, 2008

On Beauty

What a narrow definition of Beauty I happen to find a caring and altruistic personality most beautiful. But I must be a minority. C'est la vie.

It mildly irritates me when people look at Sophie and say "Ohhh what a pretty girl she is going to be!". This is insulting on 2 counts. First, the implication that she is not pretty now but will be in future, and Second that being good looking was necessarily her best feature, and I truly want to add "yes, and she can count/sing/read/play the violin etc... so well too!!"

I am being a grouch today. I had a stressful week last week, and then I managed to fall off a horse over the weekend, and Fab and I decided that I should stop horse-riding untill after Sprog #2 arrives. Painful to admit, but there is quite a lot of sense in admitting the physical limitations and additional risks involved with riding under the influence (of pregnancy hormones that is).

I also have hay-fever of some sort - Spring brings out at least 2 of my inner dwarves - Sneezy and Grumpy. I definitely do not look better than Fab right now...

2 comments:

DC said...

Not that it matters but Sophie is clearly beautiful. She has a quiet wisdom about her; rare in children.

PS: Have you tried acupuncture? It works for many hayfever sufferers.

Anonymous said...

I may be wrong, but I don’t think those comments to Sophie were made with a malicious intent. It seems unkind to feel insulted by good intentions. Those people are just trying to pay her a compliment.