Saturday, May 26, 2007

Friday night out on the town

T'was a normal Friday night, a girlfriend, a bottle of bubbly and a suitably pretty location .

As I grow older (and perhaps just slightly wiser) I have found certain things. For example, drinking champagne consistently through the night tends to avoid a hangover the next morning. It really is worth the extra money, when you have a toddler who insists on listening to Abba and playing with finger puppets at 6:30am in the morning. Also for the same reason, you should start and end your night as early as is feasible.

Secondly, I have been trying to learn tact. Really, it is a lot harder than you think for people who just aren't naturally born with it. But in my year of motherhood, I think I have discovered an hitherto unknown talent for it. It's the practice in non-linear thinking which happens when you have a strong willed child and you have to balance many competing concerns (independence vs interaction, exploration vs safety etc...)

Anyways, we finished the night at 8:30pm, my friend left first whilst I finished the rest of the bottle, and when I tried to pay, I realised she had settled the bill on the way out cos she felt so bad leaving that early. It was a nice surprise. And I make a mental note to buy the next bottle of bubbly when we are next together....

No comments: