Thursday, March 16, 2006

Growth Update

According to the Baby Center, this week, our infant-in-waiting is about 1.8 kilograms and is about 45 centimetres from crown to toe. His or her organs are more or less mature, and fetal brain scans have shown that fetuses have periods of dream sleep around this point.

I am supposed to have gained between 1.3 to 1.8 kilograms this month. Gaining 450 grams a week is quite normal during the last trimester... I am starting to feel like I am carrying around quite a lot of this weight already.

I have stopped moving heavy stuff for the last 3 months, and Fabien has been doing a lot more around the house. He's even stopped me from carrying my files from the bookshelf (heh) which I use for my research work. Trust me - it may be only paper, but lots of it in a file can be quite heavy! Anyway, feeling the kicks and other fetal movements have stopped being "an event", and I think we're both getting a bit blase about this all.

I think actually I am glad that I am not taking maternity leave untill 2 weeks before the expected date. This is because I don't want to go nuts waiting around for D-day to happen, so I may as well just be gainfully occupied at work.

The one thing I kinda miss is being able to travel long distances comfortably. Fabien is going to Madrid next week, and I would have chewed off my left arm to go with him! What's the point of giving up my job and moving to Turin to be an "accompanying spouse" if I get none of the fun travel benefits?

No comments: