Sunday, November 27, 2005

Remembering Poetry

One of the things I enjoyed about studying Literature at A level is having to my mind a fount of random quotations that bubble up when I least expect it.

This one is from Robert Frost on friendship:

When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.


Lovely isn't it? Just thought I would take some time and share it with you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'What we do in life echoes in eternity'? ...I don't think so, which is why this has always been one of my favourites:

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps forth this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle,
Life's but a walking shadow. A poor player that struts and frets his last hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

S* said...

Okay forgive me for sounding plebian - I recognise the Macbeth easily enough, but what about the "echoes in eternity" one? That sounds more Russell Crowe than Robert Frost - but correct me if I am wrong...