Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Walking the Walk

I live out loud. In the sense that I have a very full life, and many friends ask "how do you do it"? I probably don't sleep as much as I should, but I do try to take frequent breaks and have a lot of "personal time" because I need it to recharge my batteries.

Right now I am roping up my office to organise a donation for the Red Cross to deliver tents, drinking water and medical supplies to the earthquake disaster areas. I give my own money. I bake cookies and make people eat them and put money in a box. And I involve my daughter in doing this, so that she knows that she is not just "princess Sophie" but also a part of a greater world out there.

Why do I do this?
I guess so that I can justify my own existence on this planet. So that I can return the many many blessings that I have been given in this life. And simply because my parents (especially my mother) taught me to try to be as good a person as I can.

So to this end, I give 10 percent of my net income away every year. To various causes, to individual people whom I know need it. I talk the talk, but hey - at least I try to walk the walk.

It is the only way I can reconcile the extremely comfortable lifestyle that I currently have, against the restless humanity that I cannot turn a blind eye to. I should give more, and that is one of my goals, to increase the amounts I give regularly.

Anyway, if you are interested - look at the local Red Cross society in your community and see if they are sending relief supplies to South West China?

No comments: